How much does it cost to fix a failing foundation?
In this example we are not estimating a major foundation repair.
In San Francisco Bay Area as well as other areas with similar climate, it is very difficult to provide an average cost for a minor foundation repair simply because there are so many variables. On average, costs have been reported as low as $250 for a very minor repair and as high as $48,000 for a piering repair system.
Your cost will be dependent on your particular situation and the type of foundation you are trying to repair. Most factors that impact cost include how accessible the sunken or damaged / cracked portion of the foundation is, the cause of foundation failure and the method of repair recommended by the structural engineer or inspection agency if properly certified and licensed.
Peering Cost – According to Erast Bagdasaryants of Eco Smart Builder Inc., “Foundation repair using “hydraulic piering” will cost between $18,500 – $58,000”
Foundation Repair Cost Breakdown:
• $800-$3,500 to hire a structural engineer
• $1100-$7,000 for soil reports from a geotechnical engineer
• $630-$1600 for a building permit with street parking
• $6,000-$14,000 for seismic work (if you live in an earthquake area)
• $2,000-$5,500 for hidden obstacles (tree roots, old repairs, deep footings)
• $3,640 per pier (repairs for an average size home require 12 to 18 piers)
If the cost of foundation repairs seem high to you, keep in mind that your home is one of the biggest investments in your life. In the end, the cost of the repair will be worth it because your property will be safe and marketable.
Hire Bay Area Home Inspections for your foundation inspection or call us for a free consultation.